Friday, April 22, 2016

[DIARY #001] Learning to play my Grandfathers favorite instrument



My grandfather just passed away this year March 25. And now I think I've been calling by his saxophone I don't really know. I cleaned it together with my grandmothers help she tells me what parts of the sax been called. My grandfather loves to play musical instruments he is a music teacher and renowned musician in our town. He can read music sheet notes and teach bands in different towns and province. He is really great because not to mention the bands he have thought have always won 1st place in any competition. He is also a member of a band.

I've never got the chance to have been thought by him since I was a child because I was in the varsity. But I will never forget that everytime I play and compete in other towns he is always been there. One time I texted him while I have free time to spent we met in his friends house in an ocean nearby. He thought me how to play the xylophone I think he thought me well I learned it fast despite it was only a oeido play.  That time I will never forget that I learn it from him. Until now, I remember it. Since i'm a beginner I have to learn first the basics and specially the history. 





Who invented the saxophone?





Antoine-Joseph "Adolphe" Sax (6 November 1814 – c. 7 February 1894) was a Belgian inventor and musician who invented the saxophone in 1846. He played the flute and clarinet, and his other inventions are the saxotromba, saxhorn and saxtuba. He died at the age of 79. 




History


The period around 1840 saw Sax inventing the clarinette-bourdon, an early unsuccessful design of contrabass clarinet. Around this time he also developed the instrument for which he is best known, the saxophone, patented on 28 June 1846. The saxophone was invented for use in both orchestras and concert bands. Composer Hector Berlioz wrote approvingly of the new instrument in 1842. By 1846 Sax had designed, on paper, a full range of saxophones (from sopranino to subcontrabass). Although they never became standard orchestral instruments, the saxophones made his reputation and secured him a job, teaching at the Paris Conservatoire in 1857.


Rivalry


Sax continued to make instruments later in life and presided over the new saxophone class at the Paris Conservatoire. Rival instrument makers attacked the legitimacy of his patents and mounted a long campaign of litigation against Sax and his company. He was driven into bankruptcy in 1856 and again in 1873.


Cause of Death


Sax suffered from lip cancer between 1853 and 1858 but made a full recovery. In 1894 Sax died in complete poverty in Paris and was interred in section 5 (Avenue de Montebello) at the Cimetière de Montmartre in Paris. source: wikipedia





FACTS: Grassi Brand



Grassi produced saxophones from the 60s to the 90s with similar model names, however with very different designs
• There seems to be no real chronology to the models
• Different models were produced around the same time which makes mapping models to serial numbers impossible
• Many years after the “Made in Italy” production ceased for good, Proel (an Italian importer of musical instruments and equipment) bought the rights to the I.M. Grassi logo and started producing saxes in the Far East with model names identical to the defunct Italian production.
An easy way to recognise these saxes is to check the logo printed on the bell: it is no hand engraved, but laser engraved and it now shows “Ida Maria Grassi – Italy” instead of the old “Ida Maria Grassi – Made in Italy” logo.

source: cafesaxohpone


Progress: Today i've learned the parts and B, A and G keys. I wanted first to know the basics before I play any kind of music. I think I wanted to learn if i'm ready the music from Pink Panther and 007 theme. 

I am lucky to have a great and super grandfather like him. I will never forget him and he will always be remain here in our hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment